Romantic cottage style decor is very similar to what many people associate with a shabby chic decorating style. Romantic style homes are filled with every shade of pink and white furniture, accessories, accents, and fabrics.
A floral motif is seen throughout romantic cottages in some form or fashion. It’s a very soft and feminine style of decorating with comfort and beauty in mind.
Perhaps you’d like to decorate just a few rooms in your home with a romantic style decor.
Romantic Decorating Ideas
Here are some romantic decorating ideas to get you thinking, shopping, and decorating your home to look just like that cottage you saw in a magazine the other day.
1) Wrought iron in its original form can appear somewhat harsh and rustic. However, when painted white and purposely distressed, it lends itself to all sorts of decorating styles, including romantic cottage style.
Wrought iron pieces featuring curly-cues are great choices. A piece of wrought iron fencing or gate could be used to create a headboard for a bed when hung on the wall behind the mattress. Weave ivy and silk flower garland through it for a completely romantic look.
2) Fabric covered boxes of all sizes and shapes serve as decorative accents. Decorating these boxes is a fun way to add romantic style to your home. Along with the fabric, add lace trim, ribbons, and delicate pearl beads in pinks and whites.
3) Vintage chandeliers are fantastic lighting choices for creating a romantic style decor in your home. If you can’t find one already lovingly used, try your local lighting store.
4) Decoupage items like vases, jewelry boxes, lamp bases, and even furniture with flower and rose patterns to bring the feminine look to any room.
5) Fabric is key when it comes to creating a romantic cottage look. Floral fabrics can feature small or large flowers, gardens, or greenery and be incorporated into throw pillows, fabric runners, tablecloths, bed coverings, bedside table coverings, cushions, wall art, blankets, quilts, window fashions, kitchen towels, placemats, and napkins.
6) Furniture is often painted white and then made to look aged. A crackle finish on furniture would work for a romantic style home.
Romantic style furniture is comfortable, with great cushions and lots of throw pillows.
7) Bring the wicker patio furniture inside the house. Use it in bedroom, den, parlor, or a child’s bedroom. A small wicker ottoman is a nice addition to a romantic style bathroom.
8) A romantic bathrooms might include candles, flower petals in a crystal bowl, small hand towels with a beautiful floral applique and lace embellishments, a mirror with an arched ornate frame, and a few small soaps in a vintage saucer for guests.
9) Mosaic accents add romantic charm to bedside tables, end tables in a living area, or even as wall art.
10) Shadow boxes painted white and filled with small vintage treasures are a beautiful accent for a romantic cottage home. Use items in the box that are sentimental to you, or pick up odds and ends at flea markets and estate sales.
These are just a few ideas for creating a romantic cottage decorating style inside your home. Other small touches would be crystal hand pulls on ceiling fans, crystal wind chimes hung in a bright window, candles, vintage clocks, painted porcelain features throughout the house, and glassware on display.