Do you need hallway decorating ideas? The hallway of your home may be wide or it may be narrow. You may have architectural interest or you may not. No matter what style or size of hallway you have in your home, there are simple and easy ways to bring your hallway space up to date with the rest of your home.
You want people to enjoy the journey down the hallway on their way to another destination, so take a bit of time to customize this area of your home with a few (or all) of these hallway decorating ideas.
Decorating Tips For Your Hallway
- Add visual interest in a less-than-exciting hallway by installing wainscoting or bead board on the walls. This is an easy hallway idea that can make a big impact for little money. A chair rail or crown molding can add wonderful style and interest to a hallway space.
- A floor runner can draw the eye to beautifully polished hardwood floors and also add your own personality to the space.
- Hallways do not have to be dark and dingy. Add wall sconces along the walls of a wider hallway or decorative ceiling light fixtures in narrower hallways. Pendant lighting is ideal for any size space if the fixture itself is the right size for the space.
- A console table with a bottom shelf is a convenient drop off space for your purse, briefcase, keys, outgoing mail, and the children’s book bags. The table should be the style and color that matches your overall decor. Add a table lamp, some fresh flowers in a vintage pitcher and you have a warm and inviting hallway console.
- Paint the hallway a light neutral shade and then accent the wall at the end of the hallway with a shade that is two or three shades darker for visual interest.
- A large mirror hung at the end of the hallway will make it feel more spacious.
- If your walls are in excellent condition, consider painting with high gloss paint. Light will bounce off of the gloss, making the space feel larger.
- Hallway decorating is often overlooked when it comes to adding beauty and warmth to a home.
- Don’t forget to add your own personal touches in this area because people will notice if it looks neglected.
- By the same token, if you have beautiful groupings of family photographs or artwork displayed in your hallway, people will stop to enjoy them.
- Artwork for a hallway could include framing old book covers, LP’s, fabric samplers, or a child’s artistic creations.
- A combined coat stand and umbrella stand can be a great way to decorate a hallway corner and provide hanging storage for coats and hats as you walk through the door.
- Ideally, the furniture chosen for a hallway should coordinate with nearby rooms into which the hallway connects.
- A bench for taking shoes off and on is a nice feature in a hallway. Place large baskets under the bench to store shoes and roller blades.
- An odd shaped hallway is the perfect place to incorporate storage.
- Using large decorative storage boxes, tuck away everything from Christmas decorations to sports equipment.
- Use floating shelves in your hallway decorating scheme for smaller items contained in baskets or tins.
- Floating shelves are great for displaying vintage book collections too.
You’ll be glad you spent the time to incorporate some of these hallway decorating ideas into your space. It just might turn into one of the most inviting spaces in your home!