Cottage style homes are filled with furniture that doesn’t match! Mixing and matching old and new pieces creates a wonderfully eclectic and cozy atmosphere that makes you want to sit down and stay awhile. It’s perfectly acceptable to have different styles of furniture in the same room when decorating your cottage style home. The key to Cottage style is having a collection of things that appear as they have been collected over time.
What Do You Look For? Look for pieces that appear to have already lived a good life, but are still sturdy. Look for furniture pieces that are just bursting with character and unique attributes. Weathered, worn, and distressed furniture is perfect for a cottage home!
However, if you find naturally stained furniture that you just love, these pieces will also compliment your cottage style very nicely. Painted furniture is also a cornerstone of cottage decorating, so feel free to paint any piece you think needs a little tender loving care.
I have painted many pieces of furniture, giving new life and a fresh look to pieces of furniture in my house.
It’s easy to turn any chair, end table, armoire, kitchen table, coffee table, hutch, or dresser into something that appears to be vintage but is really pretty modern. That’s the rub – you can take a more modern piece of furniture and distress or paint the surface to make it look old and it will fit perfectly into your cottage décor.
Cottage furniture can be used for more than one purpose, so when you’re looking at a specific piece, think outside the box.
• Move the breakfast nook kitchen table into the office and use it as a desk
• Create tables from old wood shutters
• Armoires – computer desk, craft closet, quilt storage
• Dining room hutch – display collectibles in the living room or use in child’s room
• Potting bench – bring it inside and use as baker’s rack or mudroom storage
Cottage style furniture is an excellent mix of old and new, worn and sturdy, and just plain interesting.
See you tomorrow for Day #8 of our Cottage Style Guide series!
Photos courtesy of Country Living
And now it’s time for our weekly link up…
Life In Bloom Link Up
For those who are joining in to link up today, feel free to link up any post that celebrates your life in bloom! This can be any post from the week on faith, parenting, marriage, recipes, homemaking tips, or something you feel will be a blessing to this Life In Bloom community.
- When linking up please copy and paste in the actual url of your post not just your blog url, so we can find your post later.
- As a courtesy, please link back here, or copy and paste the code for the button provided at the bottom of this blog page, and add it to the bottom of your post so others can find the Life In Bloom community.
- As a way to build up the sisterhood here, please visit a person or two ahead of you in the link up, then everyone feels a part of the community.
Let’s bloom together!