White is the trademark color for cottage style decorating, but don’t worry, you can brighten up your cottage home with bursts of color here and there to make it feel just right. Don’t feel you have to live in a pale world if bright colors are what you love. Even soft pastel colors add so much mood and ambiance to any room.
Color has an amazing impact on a home’s décor when used in all the right places. Suddenly, your house will be transformed into a home that reflects your personality and personal tastes. It will be uniquely you! So please have fun with color.
How can you use accessories to add color to a white background? Imagine adding color here and there in places that will catch the eye and make you want to search for more color throughout the room. By adding color through accessories that can easily be changed out, you will save money and time. You will be able to add accents within minutes and update your home for any season without breaking the bank!
Quick and easy ideas:
•Beautiful colored vases
•Candle arrangements – single or groups
•Collections that have a similar theme of color
Paint, Paint, Paint
Paint is the number one cheapest way to add the most color impact to any room.
- It’s easy to create a ‘frame’ around a mirror or photograph with paint.
- Paint the chair rail a nice accent color that matches the other accessories in the room.
- Paint the back of a bookshelf for added interest.
- Paint mirror frames.
- Painting small accent furniture is a great way to add interest to any room.
- Or, choose one wall and add color for an accent focal wall.
Fabrics are an easy way to infuse a room with splashes of color. Try these simple ideas:
• Throw pillows – try several colors and textures of fabric
• Ottomans re-covered
• Small or large floor rugs
• Chair cushions
• Artwork with bold colors
• Collections of photographs
• Window coverings or simple tie backs
It’s fun to add interest and warmth to a room using color! You’ll brighten and lighten every space in your home using these simple and quick techniques. Dont’ be afraid to play with color. It could change your life. Have fun while you choose colors and textures to bring into your cottage style home and then sit back and enjoy all the coziness you’ve just created!
What is your favorite way to add color?
See you Monday for day #5 of our cottage style guide series!
Photo source:Country Living