Have you made the classic Frito chili baked casserole or pie? I remember growing up with this family favorite dish. I wanted to do a spin on my mom’s dinner creation and try it with tortilla chips instead. It turned out so well, and it disappeared quickly at our farm table. This Chili Nacho Casserole recipe is the perfect casserole to throw together in a hurry and the perfect fall comfort food.
How To Make Chili Nacho Casserole
You will need:
- Favorite brand of canned Chili ( I used Amy’s Black Bean Chili–it’s Gluten free!)
- Tortilla Chips
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
Baking Directions for Chili Nacho Casserole
- Spray dish with cooking oil
- Layer half the chili, tortilla chips, and grated cheese.
- Then repeat those layers again finishing with cheese on top.
- Press down all the layers when finished.
- Bake at 350 degrees covered with lid or foil for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbling.
- Remove lid or foil and broil the top to get the cheese browned slightly ( just like for nachos)
- Serve with sour cream on top and a side salad or vegetable. Yum!
I hope you will give this fun crowd pleasing recipe a try!
Quick Tip: Break up the tortilla chips a bit to help them fit in better and make the layering more compact.
The best part of this dish is the way the tortilla chips in the middle get soft just like a layer of corn tortillas and the chips on the top layer add a nice crispy nacho topping.