Have you ever considered the power of your words of your blog, and how it can influence the world for Christ? I get so excited to think of the amount of people I can reach if I set my sights on blogging with a mission in mind. Social media is a fantastic tool to bring about goodness for God’s kingdom. There has never been such an opportunity as this, where within minutes we can spread a message through Twitter and Facebook and our blogs.
For Such A Time As This
I believe we are in a window of time like no other, and it’s a perfect opportunity to jump in and be a part of a movement and blogging with a mission. There are hungry people searching for truth, for encouragement and for hope. As the world is rapidly changing all around us, social media, writers, speakers, and bloggers are being raised up and for such a time as this!
I hear bloggers say they don’t care if they build up traffic on their blog. While I don’t think we should have our sights on numbers, we should desire to grow a blog for the one reason of reaching people with encouragement and hope. Just think, if you have 1000 followers on your blog, that those 1000 have dedicated their attention to listen to you, so why not serve them? Where at church or in a gathering can you have a captive audience of 1000 people who are anticipating what you have to share with them?
It is time to see our blogs as a mission field and as a platform to spread our God-given talents and creativity. We don’t have to even be blogging faith based posts to touch people in a dynamic way. God has given us all unique talents and abilities, and those can all be glorifying to the Lord no matter the style or niche.
So where do we start? Jumping into social media can soon tire you if you don’t have a clear mission and focus. Speaking as a fellow blogger in this arena, we can quickly get discouraged, start comparing ourselves and wonder why we are blogging. We can have the best of intentions to be blogging with a mission, but not have a clear vision in the first place. The secret to keeping my eyes on the One whom I blog for, is to write out a mission statement.
Why Do You Need A Mission Statement?
- You will stay focused.
- You will remember why you are doing what you do when doubts come.
- You will keep blogging when you want to quit.
- You will be able to combat all the outside “noise” of other blogs and alleviate comparing yourself with others.
- You will be able to recognize how you are going to reach your audience with your unique message.
- You will feel confident in who God created you to be.
- You will see the unique value you have as a blogger even if you have a non-faith based blog.
- You will be a game changer for the Kingdom!
How You Can Create A Mission Statement
Answer the following questions:
Who am I writing for?
What does she look like? How old is she? Does she work or stay home? Is she a mom? Is she married? A career woman? A ministry leader?
What kind of content do I want to provide?
( instructional, devotional, practical, inspirational)
Why do I want to blog?
( income, ministry, a cause, creating a platform, hobby, creative outlet, to equip, instruct, encourage)
How will my readers find me?
(social media, networking, contributing, guest posting, ebooks, speaking)
What aesthetics do I want to achieve in my blog design?
(clean, simple, warm, bright, modern, crafty, literary)
What image do I want to convey when readers visit my blog?
(friendly, informative, business, helpful, girlfriend, mentor, coach, teacher, speaker, writer)
After answering all of these questions hopefully you will have a better idea of where you are headed and feel more confident in your blogging. Your mission statement can change over time and should be evaluated every now and then. You can keep your mission statement to yourself, and it’s not intended for the readers to see.
I pray through the process of writing your own mission statement that you will see your unique place in blogging on a mission for such a time as this!
Life In Bloom Link Up
For those who are joining in to link up today, feel free to link up any post that celebrates your life in bloom! This can be any post from the week on faith, parenting, marriage, recipes, homemaking tips, or something you feel will be a blessing to this Life In Bloom community.
- When linking up please copy and paste in the actual url of your post not just your blog url, so we can find your post later.
- As a courtesy, please link back here, or copy and paste the code for the button provided at the bottom of this blog page, and add it to the bottom of your post so others can find the Life In Bloom community.
- As a way to build up the sisterhood here, please visit a person or two ahead of you in the link up, then everyone feels a part of the sisterhood.
Let’s bloom together!