With more and more people becoming proactive about their health, it is only natural that many of these people would turn to natural remedies to help treat certain illnesses and even to prevent diseases and illness. If you are interested in natural treatments for illness and disease then you will be excited to know that oregano essential oil can be used in a number of different ways to ease everything from colds to candida and even as an effective anti-aging treatment. Here are 25 uses for oregano essential oil to help you stay healthy.
1. Oregano for nasal congestion- If you are suffering from nasal congestion caused by a cold or an allergy, then try sprinkling one or two drops of oregano essential oil on a clean handkerchief and inhaling the vapor.
2. Sore Throat treatment- To ease the pain of a sore throat simply add one or two drops of oregano essential oil to a glass of orange juice and drink the juice.
3. In order to help relieve a sinus infection or ease a cough try adding a few drops of this oil to a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam.
4. Taking oregano oil after eating can aid digestion by helping to release various digestive juices.
5. It can also be taken for an upset stomach as the phenol compounds contained in this oil help to ease stomach upset and discomfort
6. By applying some of this oil on your finger or toenails when you have a nail fungus, you can clear the fungus up in short order. You can further speed up the curing of your nail fungus by taking this essential oil internally as well.
7. If you have a yeast infection mixing oregano oil with olive oil and taking one or two drops daily can help to cure the infection.
8. By diluting oregano oil with olive oil and rubbing it on painful joints you can relieve the pain of arthritis or tendonitis. This decreases the swelling of the joint which results not only in reduction of pain, but increased mobility of the joint as well.
9. Warts and boils can be treated effectively with this oil simply by applying the oil to the affected area and then covering with band aid. You may need several applications of this treatment.
10. Diluted oregano oil can be used successfully to treat itchy insect bites and skin rashes.
11. Diluting this essential oil with olive oil and rubbing it on spots of eczema and on the spots. Make sure you avoid putting the oil on sensitive parts of the body.
12. If you want to rid yourself of that bothersome dandruff, simply add a few drops to your normal shampoo. Wash your hair with this shampoo daily for a week making sure that you don’t get any shampoo into your eyes as the oil can really sting your eyes.
13. To treat acne using oregano oil simply dip a Q-tip into the oil and apply directly to individual acne. The oil will kill the bacteria and reduce the inflammation. For the very best results you need to use this treatment twice a day morning and night right after washing your face.
14. You can use this oil in place of toothpaste to not only clean your teeth, but to remove plaque as well.
15. Not only can oregano oil serve as toothpaste, but adding a few drops to a glass of water makes a wonderful mouth wash that will sweeten your breath and kill the bacteria that can lead to gum disease including gingivitis.
16. A drop or two of this essential oil will also help to relieve athlete’s foot. Use a Q-tip to apply the oil to the area between the toes for several days until the athlete’s foot is entirely gone.
17. Adding a few drops of oregano oil to liquid hand soap will help to kill germs and bacteria on your hands. This is especially important to help prevent the spread of the any type of bacterial infection from one person to another.
18. To kill ringworm apply 3 to 6 drops of oregano oil to the effected area.
19. Oil of Oregano can be diluted with extra virgin olive oil and rubbed around the outside of your ear to treat an ear infection.
20. This oil is also a powerful anti-aging oil as it’s antioxidant properties fight off those free radicals that causes fine lines and wrinkles and contribute to aging related health issues.
21. Oregano oil is also loaded with nutrients making it a great dietary supplement for improving your immune system so that you can fight off a number of diseases.
22. Oregano oil can also be used to cure a tooth ache.
23. Mixing a little oregano oil with water in a spray bottle can give you a natural insect repellent when wandering in the great out of doors. However, since the oil will separate from the water you will need to shake the bottle well before spraying the repellent on your skin. Make sure you don’t get any of the diluted oil in your eyes.
24. A spray bottle of diluted oregano oil applied to kitchen and bathroom counters will act as disinfectant to kill all bacteria lurking in those rooms. Also try adding a few drops to your load of wash to kill off any lurking bacteria or parasites that may be around and leave your clothes fresher smelling.
25. Using this oil in the shower can help prevent fungus and mold from taking over in warm humid areas in your home.
Do keep in mind that when using oil of oregano for the first time either externally or internally you use it sparingly to ensure that you don’t have an allergic reaction. In addition, this oil can thin your blood so you may want to consult a physician before using this oil internally. Oregano oil is a “hot” oil, and should be diluted with a carrier oil in most cases.
Precautions and Warnings:
*Please do not use any essential oil internally unless the oil manufacturer has stated the oil purity.
Disclosure: I am not a medical professional. The statements and suggestions given here have not been evaluated by the FDA. I am simply sharing ideas and suggestions on how to use essential oils in everyday life. I assume no liability for the way you choose to use essential oils. Use your good judgement and act responsibly.