Over the next couple weeks we are going to explore Cottage Style Decorating. I have put together a simple and easy 10 Day Cottage Style guide to launch you, inspire you, and encourage you to love your home in simple, cheap and easy ways!
What is Cottage Style?
Cottage Style Decorating is a look that is cozy and comfortable. A homey atmosphere that allows room for your own personal taste to shine through. It’s nothing too formal or stuffy, and welcomes everyone to relax and feel at ease.
No matter where you live whether in the city or country, an apartment or house, you can create the Cottage retreat that reflects your idea of home.
Look around you in decorating magazines and books. Browse your decorating magazines from Pottery Barn, to Better Homes and Gardens, and Country Living and you will see Cottage Style every where you look.
Maybe you envision a white picket fence and shutters on the window, a beach bungalow, or an old English cottage in the countryside. Those looks are commonly associated with the word “cottage”, but while cottage style can take on the white picket fence and shutters, it can be so much more!
It has been said that Cottage Style is a redefined version of American Country decorating. Don’t worry, it’s not the country blue and mauve pink combo of the 80′s!
Today’s Cottage Style Decorating is…Fresh, Fabulous and Fun!
You will find within cottage homes an interesting mix of trends and styles. There are pale and vibrant colors and everything from painted, distressed furniture to slipcovered and traditional. There is also vintage style mixed with classic and more modern decor. Cottage style decorating includes everything under the sun and can be achieved by anyone-even you! The best part of it all is that you don’t need a lot of money or time to give your home some fresh touches.
- Country Cottage: Bursting with farmhouse appeal. A charming mix of warm woods, rich color tones, and rustic elements.
- Shabby Chic: A soft look with lots of white and pale hues. A blend of flea-market finds and vintage treasures.
- Romantic: Full of florals, mixed patterns, and plenty of feminine touches.
- Farmhouse: Infused with rustic charm, this is a family friendly and popular style that feels down home no matter where you live.
- Beach House: A popular cool breezy decorating style with sea-inspired treasures, colors and accents.
- French Country: Dressed up farm folk style, vibrant color schemes, with a variety of fun decor accents.
- Cottage Garden: Inspired by nature’s color palette. A fresh, easy style with the look of bringing the outdoors in.
- English: Going back in time with rich antiques, a little lace and china tea cups.
- Rustic: A laid-back and cozy feel. A look that echoes a vacation getaway, with plenty of log cabin appeal.
- Swedish: A newly popular decor. A light, clean, and uncluttered style, accented with architectural details.
What is your style? If you are anything like me, I can’t be put in a box to choose just one of those. I tend to have a mix of a few depending on the room and mood I want to create. The best thing to remember about decorating your home, is to have fun and make it a comfortable dwelling where all who enter and live within, can see YOU reflected there.
See you tomorrow for Day #1 of the Cottage Style Guide!
I am linking this post up with The Better Mom